John D. Constable International
Plastic surgeons from Iraq, China, Egypt, Malaysia, Vietnam, Albania, Pakistan, Nigeria, India, and Thailand have been selected as recipients and have benefited from this exceptional experience. Read their final reports in which they have all expressed a profound gratitude for the knowledge and experience gained and the sense that the experience has indeed changed the course of their lives and careers. They have returned to their respective countries with an enhanced ability to treat patients and train their colleagues.
The fellowship invites an international plastic surgeon to come to the North America under the auspices of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons. The goal is to improve the fellow’s understanding of American plastic surgery and to promote good will and academic interchange among surgeons of the international and American surgical communities. The chosen fellow will be in the North America as an observer for a period of 6-12 weeks under the sponsorship of members of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons.
The Association is proud to have established an endowment supporting an international plastic surgery fellowship in honor of Dr. Constable, who made significant contributions to plastic surgery education worldwide throughout his career.
- Candidates must be fully trained in plastic surgery in their respective country and a member in good standing of their national society.
- Must be a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 10 years out of training
- Must be able to communicate well in both written and spoken English
- Must be sponsored by two members of their national society
- Must be sponsored by the department or program director or equivalent at their institution
All candidates will be required to submit:
- A letter from the candidate describing their proposed program and academic/educational interests and what they would hope to bring back to their country
- A Current Curriculum Vitae
- Letter from sponsor at their institution to include an indication how the award would benefit their country
- Two letters of recommendation from surgeons in the candidate’s national society
- List of Institutions you plan to visit
APPLICATION FROM HOST INSTITUTIONS
Institutions interested in hosting a Constable International Traveling Fellow will be asked to submit:
- A planned curriculum for the visiting fellow.
- Availability of personal support (housing/food) during the visit.
One fellowship per year in the amount of $10,000 per year will be awarded. The funds provided are intended to cover the international and national transportation obligations for a successful fellowship. The Chair of the Constable Committee will make notification of acceptance of the fellowship to the applicant and to the host institutions. Applications should be submitted no later than October 31, 2022.
The recipient will be required to provide a written report at the conclusion of the fellowship that will be submitted to the Board of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons. The content of this report will not only outline the details of the learning process and content but also suggestions to the committee as to how to better the educational and social opportunity for the future fellows.
JOHN D. CONSTABLE FELLOWSHIP COMMITTEE
William G. Austen, Jr., MD, Chair