Sunday, May 20, 2007
7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
AAPS Board Meeting
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Association of Academic Chairman of Plastic Surgery Spring Retreat and Business Meeting
5k Run, Golf and Tennis
6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Monday, May 21, 2007
New Member Breakfast
Welcome & Introduction
James W. May, Jr., MD
W. Bradford Rockwell, MD.
Chair, Local Arrangements Committee
Nicholas B. Vedder, MD
Chair, Program Committee
Introduction of New Members
Stephen J. Mathes, MD, Secretary
Susan E. Mackinnon, MD, President-Elect
James Barrett Brown Award and Presentation
Introduced by: Raymond F. Morgan, MD
Clinician of the Year
Introduced by: James W. May, Jr., MD
Honorary and Distinguished Fellow Awards
Introduced by: Paul N. Manson, MD
Chair, Honors Committee
Announcement of AAPS Foundation Academic Scholar
W.P. Andrew Lee, MD
Chair, Research and Education Committee
Presentation of 2006 Leonard R. Rubin – AAPS Award Paper
Introduced by: Susan E. Mackinnon, MD – President-Elect
Prevention, Plagues, Preparedness and Politics: The Life of The Surgeon General
Richard Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., FACS
Gain Without Pain: The Dawn of Elective Surgery
James W. May, Jr., MD
Introduced by: Robert Goldwyn, MD
History of the Academic Scholar Program
William M. Kuzon, MD
ADJOURN for Lunch
AACPS Panel: Academic Plastic Surgery and Departments of Surgery : Is It Time for a Divorce?
Scientific Session I
1. A Systematic Review of Arthroplasty Compared to Arthrodesis in the Rheumatoid Wrist
Christi M. Cavaliere, MD, Kevin C. Chung, MD, MPH.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
Discussant: Neil F. Jones, MD
2. Special Thumbs: Unusual Forms of Radial Polydactyly in the Two and Three-Fingered Hands
Joseph Upton, MD, Eran Bar-Meir, MD, James D. Schlenker, Jr., MD, Amir H. Taghinia, MD.
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Discussant: Kevin C. Chung, MD
3. Can microsurgical reconstruction of a local blockade in the lymphatic system cure" lymphedemas?"
Ruediger G. Baumeister, Prof. Dr.med. Dr. med.habil1, Mayo Weiss, PD. Dr. med.2.
1University of Munich, Dept of Surgery Grsshadern, Div. of Plast-, Hand-, Microsurgery, D 81377 Muenchen,, Germany, 1University of Munich, Dept of Nuclear Medicine, D 81377 Muenchen,, Germany.
Discussant: Michael J. Miller, MD
4. Primary Sternal Closure with Titanium Plate Fixation - Plastic Surgery Effecting a Paradigm Shift
David H. Song, MD, Valluvan Jeevanandam, MD, Jai Raman, MD, F.R.A.C.S, PhD
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
Discussant: Julian Pribaz, MD
Scientific Session II
5. Pharmacokinetics of Topical and Intravenous Antibiotics in Patients with Clean Surgical Wounds
Raleigh R. White, IV, MD, Keith Pitzer, MD, Robert Fader, PhD, Hasan Rajab, PhD.
TAMU College of Medicine/ Scott and White Clinic, Temple, TX, USA.
Discussant: Warren L. Garner, MD
6. Activation of the Tumor Suppressor Gene p53 is Higher in Normal Parous Human Breast Tissue than the Nulliparous Counterpart
Kristin Stueber, MD1, Lesley Matthews2, Brooke Pazik2, Giovanna Crisi, MD3, D. Joseph Jerry, PhD2, Sallie Smith-Schneider, PhD2.
1Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA, USA, 2Pioner Valley Life Sciences Center, Springfield, MA, USA, 3Baystate Medical Center, Pathology, Springfield, MA, USA.
Discussant: E. Dale Collins, MD
7. Adipose Derived Stem Cells: Can They be Used to Treat Hematopoietic Malignancies?
Bret M. Schipper, MD, Kacey G. Marra, PhD, Albert Donnenberg, PhD, Vera Donnenberg, PhD, Adriana Zeevi, PhD, Urvasti Surti, PhD, Mounzer Agha, MD, J Peter Rubin, MD.
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
Discussant: Prosper Benhaim, MD
8. The Evaluation of VAC® Wound Fluid from Diabetic and Non-Diabetic Wounds: Levels of VEGF, Il-1, EDA-Fibronectin, Collagen Correlation with Fibroblast Function
Reza Mirali Akbari, MD, Donald R. Mackay, MD, H. Paul Ehrlich, PhD, Robert Grunfeld, MA, Reza Roghani, BA, Jason Hancey, MD, S William Hazard, MD, Noel Natoli, MD.
Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA.
Discussant: Linda Phillips, MD
9. Adoptive Transfer of Chimeric Cells Extends Composite Tissue Allografts Survival
Aleksandra Klimczak, PhD, Ilker Yazici, MD, Anna Jankowska, Michal Molski, MD, Maria Siemionow, MD, PhD.
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA.
Discussant: W. P. Andrew Lee, MD
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Past President's Breakfast
Scientific Session III
Introduction of EURAPS Officers
Presentation of EURAPS Award Paper
Reduction of Morbidity of Frontofacial Monobloc Advancement by Osteodistraction
Eric Arnaud, MD, Daniel Marchac, MD, Dominique Renier, MD;
Hôpital Necker-Enfants Malades, Paris, France
10. Comparison of Quantitative Educational Metrics Between Integrated and Independent Plastic Surgery Residents
Lifei Guo, MD, PhD1, Edward Kim2, Judith Friend, M.A.1, Dennis Orgill, MD, PhD1, Julian J. Pribaz, MD1.
1Harvard Plastic Surgery Program, Boston, MA, USA, 2Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA.
Discussant: David L. Larson, MD
11. Twenty Years of Randomized Controlled Trials in Plastic Surgery: An Analysis of Reporting Standards and Trial Impact
Amir H. Taghinia, MD, Eric C. Liao, MD, James W. May, Jr., MD.
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA.
Discussant: Carolyn L. Kerrigan, MD
12. Partial Muscle Transplantation, a Strategy for the Preservation of Form and Function at the Donor Site
Darrell Brooks, MD, Rudolf F. Buntic, MD.
California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, USA.
Discussant: Phillip G. Arnold, MD
Scientific Session IV
13. Facial Clefts--Case Series and Treatment Protocol
Fernando Ortiz Monasterio, MD, Jesse A. Taylor, MD.
Hospital General Manuel Gea Gonzalez, Mexico, D.F., Mexico.
Discussant: Henry K. Kawamoto, MD
14. Fractional Healing of Pediatric Coronal Ring Defects Two Years Following Fronto-Orbital Advancement for Craniosynostosis
Jon Ver Halen, MD, Richard Hopper, MD, MS, Michael Cunningham, MD, PhD, Craig Birgfeld, MD, Joseph Gruss, MD.
University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
Discussant: Joseph G. McCarthy, MD
15. Nasal Reconstruction in Children Utilizing the Paramedican Forehead Flap
Gary C. Burget, MD.
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
Discussant: Jeffrey A. Fearon, MD
16. 33 Cases of Traumatic Superior Orbital Fissure Syndrome:Cranial Nerve Recovery and Outcomes
Theresa Y. Wang, MD1, Chien-Tzung Chen, MD1, Pei-Kwei Tsay, PhD1, Faye Huang, MD1, Yi-Chieh Chen, MD1, Yu-Te Lin, MD2, Han-Tsung Lian, MD1, Chih-Hung Lin, MD2, Yu-Ray Chen, MD1.
1Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung Medical College, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan, 2Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Chang Gung University, Taipei, Taiwan.
Discussant: Paul N. Manson, MD
Announcement of the John D. Constable International Traveling Fellowship
Bryant A. Toth, MD, John D. Constable, MD
Peer Academic Scholar Presentation
Adipose Derived Stem Cell Osteogenesis for Reconstruction of the Pediatric Cranial Vaul
Joseph E. Losee, MD
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Scientific Session V
17. Mri Analysis Of Lower Eyelid Anatomy With Aging
Sean J. Darcy, BA, Robert A. Goldberg, MD, J Pablo Villablanca, MD, Timothy A. Miller, MD, George H. Rudkin, MD.
David Geffen School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
Discussant: James W. May, MD
18. Factors Contributing to Senescent Facial Changes in Monozygotic Twins
Bahman Guyuron, MD, Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD, Yashar Eshraghi, MD, Amir Hassan Fathi, MD, Seree Iamphongsai, MD.
Case School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA.
Discussant: Mary McGrath, MD
19. Horizontal Approach With Dermal Suspension: An Adjunct In Reduction Mammaplasty And Mastopexy
Eser Yuksel, MD, Anthony Echo, MD, Gerardo Guerra, MD, Melvin Spira, MD, Maria Martinez, MD.
Baylor College of Medicine, Division of Plastic Surgery, Houston, TX, USA.
Discussant: Carolyn Kerrigan, MD
20. Outcomes in 30,903 Size Reduction Procedures
Michael Chen, MD.
Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA.
Discussant: Richard J. Zienowicz, MD
21. Facial Feminization In My First 1000 Male To Female Transsexuals
Douglas K. Ousterhout, MD, DDS.
Douglas K. Ousterhout, MD, Inc, San Francisco, CA, USA.
Discussant: J. William Futrell, MD
Business Meeting Luncheon - Members Only (Box Lunch)
Scientific Session VI
22. Delayed Low Energy Mandible Fracture Repair: Retrospective Review of 195 patients
Salvatore Lettieri, MD1, David Yao, MD2, David Shafer, MD2, Molly Walsh, DO2.
1Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, AZ, USA, 2Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA.
Discussant: William A. Crawley, MD
23. Reconstruction of Complex Maxillectomy and Midfacial Defects: A Single Surgeon's 15-year Experience with 100 Flaps
Peter G. Cordeiro, MD, FACS1, Constance M. Chen, MD, MPH2.
1Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY, USA, 2New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY, USA.
Discussant: Peter C. Neligan, MD
24. Analysis of 47 Cases of Fap Compromise in 1032 Free Flaps for Head and Neck Reconstruction
Peirong Yu, MD, M.S., David W. Chang, MD, Michael J. Miller, MD, Gregory P. Reece, MD, Geoffrey L. Robb, MD.
University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA.
Discussant: William M. Swartz, MD
Scientific Session VII
25. Incidence of hematoma complication with heparin venous thrombosis prophylaxis after TRAM flap breast reconstruction
Eric C. Liao, MD, PhD, Amir Taghinia, MD, Lisa Nguyen, B.S., Janet H. Yueh, B.S., James W. May, Jr., MD, Dennis P. Orgill, MD, PhD.
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA.
Discussant: Michael J. Miller, MD
26. Delayed-Immediate Breast Reconstruction: 4 Years Later
Steven J. Kronowitz, MD, FACS, Kelly K. Hunt, MD, Eric A. Strom, MD, Henry M. Kuerer, MD,PhD, Thomas A. Buchholz, MD, Merrick I. Ross, MD, Geoffrey L. Robb, MD.
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA.
Discussant: Grant W. Carlson, MD
27. Long Term Outcomes In Nipple/Areolar Reconstruction
Elisabeth K. Beahm, MD, FACS1, Robert L. Walton, MD, FACS2.
1MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA, 2University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
Discussant: Howard Langstein, MD
Scientific Session VIII
28. Comparing the SIEA and Muscle Sparing Free TRAM: Is the Rate of Flap Loss Worth the Gains in Abdominal Wall Function?
Jesse C. Selber, MD, MPH1, Stephen Vega, MD2, Seema S. Sonnad, PhD1, Joseph M. Serletti, MD1.
1University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 2University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA.
Discussant: David W. Chang, MD
29. Does an Autologous Flap Reduce Implant-Related Complications in an Irradiated Breast Reconstruction? An Evaluation of 1000 Consecutive Cases of Implant-Based Breast Reconstructions in 724 Patients.
David W. Chang, MD, Yoav barnea, MD, Geoffrey L. Robb, MD.
MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA.
Discussant: Peter G. Cordeiro, MD
30. Use of the TRAM vs Latissimus Dorsi Flap for Autologous Breast Reconstruction: A 10-Year Institutional Experience
Nicholas A. Tarola MD, Nathan Dvor, Eugene Latyshev, James Fox MD, Steven E. Copit MD, John H. Moore Jr. MD.
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Discussant: Jack C. Fisher, MD
31. DIEP Versus Free TRAM: A Meta-analysis of Complication Rates
Li-Xing Man, MD, MSC, Jesse C. Selber, MD, MPH, Joseph M. Serletti, MD, FACS.
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Discussant: Charles L. Dupin, MD
32. The Internal Mammary Vessels as Recipient Site for Microsurgical Breast Reconstruction: 12 Year Review of 1,558 Cases, Lessons Learned and Technique Refinement
Joseph C. de Brux, Jr., MD, Kirin Narra, MD, Ernest Chiu, MD, Mathew W. Wise, MD, Robert Allen, MD, Charles L. Dupin, MD.
LSU, New Orleans, LA, USA.
Discussant: Joseph M. Serletti, MD
Panel: Controversies in Breast Surgery