Sunday, May 7, 2006
New Member Breakfast
Welcome & Introduction
Paul N. Manson, MD, President
Richard C. Hagerty, MD & J. Barry Bishop, MD Co-Chairs, Local Arrangements Committee Michael J. Yaremchuk, Chair, Program Committee
Introduction of New Members
Stephen J. Mathes, MD, Secretary
James Barrett Brown Award
Introduced by: Susan E. Mackinnon, MD
Clinician of the Year
Introduced by: Paul N. Manson, MD
Honorary and Distinguished Fellow Awards
Introduced by: Robert L. Ruberg, MD - Chair, Honors Committee
Announcement of AAPS – Hoopes Foundation Academic Scholar
Steven R. Buchman, MD
Chair, Research and Education Committee
Tribute to Research Council
Presentation of 2005 Leonard R. Rubin – AAPS Award Paper
Introduced by: James W. May, MD – President-Elect
Presidential Address "The Road Less Traveled"
Paul N. Manson, MD
Introduction by: Joseph G. McCarthy, MD
10:45 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
The Inviolable Social Contract: Education and the Academic Medical Center
Charles Flexner, MD, Vice Chair Medicine, Johns Hopkins
Discussion/Moderator: Stephen H. Miller, MD, MPH
Scientific Session I
Co-moderators: Donald Mackay, MD & Randolph Sherman, MD
1. War Wounds: Lessons Learned from Operation Iraqi Freedom
Scott E. Geiger, MD, Frank McCormick, MD, Richard Chou, MD, Craig Salt, MD, James Amsberry, MD, Amy Wandel, MD.
Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA
2. High-Energy Maxillary Injuries: Classification and Treatment Algorithm with Composite Bone Flaps
Eduardo D. Rodriguez, DDS, MD1, Rachel Bluebond-Langner, MD1, Hugo St-Hilaire, DDS, MD1, Mark Martin, MD, DMD2, Michael P. Grant, MD1, Navin K. Singh, MD1, Paul N. Manson, MD1.
1R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center/UMMS/Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA
3. Excision of Giant Neurofibromas
McKay McKinnon, MD, Iris Seitz, MD, David Song, MD, Loren Schechter, MD, Madelyn Kahana, MD.
U. of Chicago, Chicago, IL
4. Free tissue transfer in the pediatric age group
Joseph Upton, III, MD.
Harvard Medical School, Chestnut Hill, MA
Panel: New Technologies in Plastic Surgery: Promises and Reality
Scientific Session II
Co-moderators: Scott Spear, MD & Charles Thorne, MD
5. Predicting the Impact of Future Technology on the Practice of Surgery
Robert Mullen, PhD, Randal Rudderman, MD.
Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH
6. The Relative Financial Value and Profitability of Free Flap Reconstruction of the Head & Neck: the Surgeons' and Hospital's Perspective
Frederic W. Deleyiannis, MD, MPhil, MPH, Andrew C. Porter BS.
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
7. Economics of Upper Extremity Replantation: National and Local Trends
Michael Chen, MD, Deepak Narayan, MD.
Yale University, New Haven, CT
8. Same Day Surgery: Streamlining the Care Experience for Patients Undergoing Treatment for Skin Cancer in a Large Integrated Delivery System
Berry E. Morton, MD, Royal Gerow, MD, Todd A. Morton, MD, John Cochran, Jr, MD.
Colorado Permanente Medical Group, Denver, CO
Monday, May 8, 2006
Scientific Session III
Co-moderators: L. Franklyn Elliott, MD & Maurice Nahabedian, MD
9. Ten Year Evaluation of 18,690 Patients Undergoing Mastectomy: The Impact of Community Factors on Access to Immediate Breast Reconstruction following Mastectomy in the State of Maryland
Gedge D. Rosson, MD, Navin K. Singh, MD, Nita Ahuja, MD, Lisa Jacobs, MD, David C. Chang, PhD, MPH, MBA.
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
10. Predicting Complications Following Postmastectomy Expander/Implant Reconstruction: A Prospective Outcomes Analysis of 1166 Reconstructions in 880 Patients
Colleen M. McCarthy, MD, Babak J. Mehrara, MD, Joseph J. Disa, MD, Peter G. Cordeiro, MD, Andrea L. Pusic, MD, MHS.
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
11. Management Algorithm And Outcome Evaluation of Partial Mastectomy Defects Treated Using Reduction/Mastopexy Techniques
Albert Losken, MD, Toncred M. Styblo, MD, Bradley Amerson, BS, Glyn E. Jones, MD, Grant W. Carlson, MD.
Emory University, Atlanta, GA
12. Infero-lateral Alloderm® Hammock for Implant Coverage in Breast Reconstruction
Karl H. Breuing, MD1, Stephen M. Warren, MD2.
1Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA, 2NYU Medical Center, New York, NY
13. Augmentation Mammaplasty By Reverse Abdominoplasty
Richard J. Zienowicz, MD.
Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI
14. Fat Grafting to the Breast Revisited: Safety and Efficacy
Sydney R. Coleman, MD, Alesia P. Saboeiro, MD.
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
Aesthetic Panel: Periorbital and Midface Rejuvenation
Scientific Session IV
Co-moderators: Gustavo Colon, MD & Riccardo Mazzola, MD
15. Tip Rhinoplasty In Broad Noses: New Technique Utilising Mold Able Diced Cartilage and Suspension Of Alar Base
Onur Erol, Prof.
ONEP Plastic Surgery Science Institute, Istanbul,Turkey.
16. Retaining Ligaments of the Neck: The Anatomical Basis for the Youthful Neck
Wilbeto G. Cortes, MD1, John Yousif, MD1, James Sanger, MD1, Carlos Ramirez2, Hani S. Matloub, MD1.
1Medical College of WI, Wauwatosa, WI, 2Universidad de Santander, Bucaramanga, Colombia.
17. Gluteal Contouring after Massive Weight Loss: Role of the Superior Gluteal Perforator Flap and Analysis of Buttock Aesthetics
Amy S. Colwell, MD, Loren Borud, MD.
Beth Isreal Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA
18. Reconstruction of abdominal wall defects after bariatric surgery and simultaneous abdominal lipectomies
Mimis Cohen, MD, Mark Allen Grevious, MD, Joseph Vitello, MD.
University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
19. Plastic Surgery in Hollywood-A Historical Review of the last 75 years
Mark M. Urata, MD, DDS, John Reinisch, MD, Jeffrey LaGrasso, MD.
Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
Introduction of EURAPS Officers
Presentation of EURAPS Award Paper
The Subcostal Perforator Flap – An Anatomical Study
Furnas Academic Scholar Presentation
Regional Anatomic and Age Effects on Differentiation of Human Preadipocytes
J. Peter Rubin, MD
University of Pittsburgh
Annual Business Meeting Luncheon
Tuesday, May 9, 2006
Scientific Session V
Co-moderators: Michael Bentz, MD & Joseph Gruss, MD
20. Contemporary Postnatal Plastic Surgical Management of Meningomyelocele
Alan Muskett, MD, William H. Barber, MS4, William D. Johnson, PhD, Andrew D. Parent, MD, Michael F. Angel, MD.
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS
21. Neonatal Internal Mandibular Distraction for upper airway management in Pierre Robin and other Syndromic Infants- Short term follow up
Virender K. Singhal, MD.
Children's Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, MO
22. Expanded Transposition Flap Algorithm for Total and Subtotal Facial Reconstruction: A Seventeen Year Experience
Robert J. Spence, MD.
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
23. Cultured Epithelial Autograft (CEA) for the Treatment of Large Burns and Giant Congenital Nevi; Results from a Series of 79 Patients
Rajiv Sood, MD, Jeroen Balledux, MD, J.J. Coleman, MD
Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
24. Rapid Interoperative Assessment of Sentinel Lymph Node Metastasis in Malignant Melanoma
William W. Dzwierzynski, MD, Vinod Shidham, MD, Richard Komorowski, MD, Virgilia Macias, MD.
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
25. Ten-year Experience of 1064 Head and Neck Free Flap Reconstructions: What Has Changed?
Peirong Yu, MD, MS, Geoffrey L. Robb, MD.
University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
AACPS Panel: The Role of Technology in Plastic Surgery Education and Training
Scientific Session VI
Co-moderators: David Netscher, MD & Nicholas Vedder, MD
26. A Quarter Century of Partial Joint Denervation: Wrist, Knee, Shoulder, Ankle, and TMJ Joints
A Lee Dellon, MD.
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
27. Vascular Thrombosis in the Hand: Patterns of Ischemia and Management
William C. Pederson, MD.
The Hand Center of San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
28. Outcome Analylsis Of Combined Ilizarov Bone Transport And Immediate Free Tissue Transfer For Lower Extremity Salvage
Karen M. Horton, MD, MSc, FRCSC1, Serge Kaska, MD2, Darrell Brooks, MD1, Rudolf F. Buntic, MD1, Kevin Louie, MD2, David W. Lowenberg, MD2.
1The Buncke Clinic, San Francisco, CA, 2Department of Orthopedic Surgery, California Pacific Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
29. Outcomes of Outcomes Studies in Plastic Surgery: A Systematic Review of 17 years of Plastic Surgery Research
Kevin C. Chung, MD, MS, Erika N. Davis, BS.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
30. Financial Impact of Hand Surgery Programs on Academic Medical Centers
Jafar S. Hasan, MD, Kevin C. Chung, MD, MS, Amy F. Storey, MPP, Mary L. Bolg, MBA, Paul A. Taheri, MD, MBA.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI