MONDAY, MAY 9, 2005
New Member Breakfast
Welcome & Introduction
Robert L. Ruberg, MD, President
Paul L. Schnur, MD Chair, Local Arrangements Committee
Michael J. Miller, Chair, Program Committee
Introduction of New Members
James Barrett Brown Award
Clinician of the Year
Honorary & Distinguished Fellow Awards
Announcement of AAPS Peer Foundation Academic Scholar
Presentation of 2004 Leonard R. Rubin AAPS Award Paper
Past President' Recognition
History Panel: Robert Ivy, MD
Research Panel: Plastic Surgery Research - Foundation for the Future
Scientific Session I
1. An Outcomes Analysis of Patients Undergoing Body Contouring Surgery after Massive Weight Loss
Michele A. Shermak, M.D., David Chang, PhD, MPH, MBA, Thomas Magnuson, M.D., Michael Schweitzer, M.D.
Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA.
2. Long Term Outcomes and Complications Associated With Brachioplasty
James Knoetgen, III, MD, Steven L. Moran, MD.
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA.
3. Abdominoplasty and Abdominal Contour Surgery: A National Plastic Surgery Survey
Alan Matarasso, M.D., Richard Swift, MD.
Manhattan Eye, Ear, &Throat Hospital, New York, NY, USA.
4. A Randomized, Controlled Comparison between Arnica and Steroids in the Management of Post-Rhinoplasty Ecchymosis
Bahman Guyuron, MD, Ali Totonchi, MD, Janine David, RN.
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA.
Scientific Session II
5. The Efficacy of the Minimal Access Cranial Suspension Lift (MACS Lift) Confirmed: 25 Consecutive Cases
Richard W. DABB, MD, Mohammed Khasravi, MD.
Milton S Hershey School of Medicine, Hershey, PA, USA.
6. Correction of Involutional Entropion with Suborbicularis Septal and Lateral Canthal Tightening
Henry M. Spinelli, M.D., F.A.C.S., Nassim Tabatabai, B.S., Donald R. Nunn, M.D., D.D.S.
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY, USA.
7. Evaluation of the Pretarsal Orbicularis Oculi Muscle Before and After Lower Blepharoplasty with Videography and Electromyography
Mark A. Codner, MD1, Foad Nahai, MD1, Lisa DiFrancesco, MD2, Clinton McCord, MD1.
1Paces Plastic Surgery, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2DiFrancesco Plastic Surgery, Decatur, GA, USA.
8. The Superolateral Pedicle for Breast Surgery: A Review of 1500 Cases
Berish Strauch, MD, Charles K. Herman, MD, Marc Elkowitz, MD, Thomas Baum, RPAC.
Albert Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA.
9. An Objective Evaluation of Breast Symmetry and Shape Differences using Three Dimensional Images
Albert Losken, Medical, Grant W. Carlson, MD.
Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA.
10. Surgical Algorithm for Treatment of HIV Lipodystrophy
Steven Davison, DDS, MD.
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA.
AACPS Panel: Financing Academic Plastic Surgery Residencies
TUESDAY, MAY 10, 2005
Oncology Panel: Multidisciplinary Cancer Treatment- Expanding Opportunities
Scientific Session III
11. A Review of 110 Consecutive Muscle Sparing Free TRAMs for Breast Reconstruction: A Recent Series By a Single Surgeon
L. F. Elliott, MD1, Hisham Seify, MD2.
1Atlanta Plastic Surgery, Atlanta, GA, USA, 2Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA.
12. The fasciocutaneus infragluteal (FCI)-flap: An additional choice for breast reconstruction and augmentation.
Christoph Papp, Prof., Christoph Reuter, Dr., Sabine Gruber, Dr.
KH Barmherzige Brüder, Salzburg, Austria.
13. Reconstruction of Musculoskeletal Defects Following Oncologic Resection in 76 Patients.
Erik Hoy, BS, Mark S. Granick, M.D., Joseph Benevenia, M.D., Francis Patterson, M.D., Ramazi Datiashvili, M.D., Brian Bille, M.D.
UMDNJ - New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA.
14. Early Experience with Human Tracheal Recosntruction
Peirong Yu, M.D., M.S.
University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA.
15. Postoperative Medical Complications Not Microsurgical Complications Negatively Influence The Morbidity, Mortality And True Costs After Microsurgical Reconstruction For Head And Neck Cancer
Neil F. Jones, MD, Bernard M. Markowitz, MD.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
Scientific Session IV
16. Microsurgical Reconstruction of the Cocaine-Injured Nose
Robert L. Walton, Jr., MD1, Gary C. Burget, MD1, Elisabeth K. Beahm, MD2.
1University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA, 2MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA.
17. Complications in Pediatric Tissue Expansion: A Twelve-Year Experience
John A. LoGiudice, MD, Lane Groutage, Arun K. Gosain.
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA.
18. Digital Analysis of Dermal Grafting for Correction of
Volume Deficiency in Cleft Lip
Chau Y. Tai, M.D., Martha S. Matthews, M.D., Heidi Williams, M.D.
Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ, USA.
19. Therapeutic angiogenesis for ischemic tissue by autologous transplantation of adipose-derived adult stem cells.
Gino Rigotti, M.D.1, Alessandra Marchi, M.D.1, Mirco Gallič, Ph.D.2, Guido Baroni3, Donatella Benati4, Andrea Sbarbati5.
1Azienda Ospedaliera Verona, Verona, Italy, 2Istituto di Anatomia Umana Universitā di Verona, Verona, Italy, 3Dipartimento di Bioingenieria-Politecnico di Milano, Milano, Italy, 4Istituto di Anatomia Umana Universitā di Verona, Verona, Italy, 5Istituto di Anatomia Umana Universitā di Verona, Verona, Italy.
20. Collagen Organization not Myofibroblasts Contract Wounds
Kurtis Moyer, MD, H. Paul Ehrlich, PhD, Donald R. Mackay, MD.
Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA, USA.
21. Short-Track Training Programs in Plastic Surgery
Raffy L. Karamanoukian, MD, Gregory RD Evans, MD.
University of California, Irvine, Orange, CA, USA.
Introduction of EURAPS Officers
Presentation of EURAPS Award Paper
Spring-Assisted Expansion Of Normal Cranial Sutures For Skull Remodelling: Application Of A Novel Concept In Craniofacial Surgery
Claes Lauritzen, MD
Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Goteborg, Sweden
Furnas Academic Scholar Presentation
Nerve Stem Cell Transplantation Enhances Neural Recovery in the Peripheral Nervous System
Jonathan M. Winograd, MD
Massachusetts General Hospital
Annual Business Meeting Luncheon (Members Only)
WEDNESDAY, MAY 11, 2005
Scientific Session V
22. The Influence of Dr Radford Tanzer's World War II Experience On His Contributions to the Field of Plastic Surgery
Joseph M. Rosen, MD1, Sheila Tanzer2.
1Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH, USA, 2Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, USA.
23. The Influence of Hospital- and Patient-Level Characteristics on Outcomes of Frontal Sinus Fracture Treatment: A Multi-Institutional Study of 892 Frontal Sinus Fractures
Mark Martin, MD, DMD1, Michael Grant, MD1, Eduardo Rodriguez, MD,DDS1, Navin Singh, MD1, Oleh Antonyshyn, MD2, Stephen E. Metzinger, MD3, Paul Manson, MD1.
1Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada, 3Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA.
24. Medial Rectus Incarceration in Medial Orbital Wall Fractures: A 13 Year Retrospective Review and Modification of a Direct Surgical Approach to the Medial Orbit
Michael P. Grant, M.D., Ph.D., Eduardo D. Rodriguez, M.D., D.D.S., Shannath L. Merbs, M.D., Ph.D., Mark Martin, MD, DMD, Nicholas T. Iliff, M.D., Paul N. Manson, M.D.
Wilmer Eye Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD, USA.
25. The Use of Hydroxyapatite Bone Cement in the Repair of Large Full Thickness Cranial Defects: A Caution
Andrea Moreira-Gonzalez, MD, James E. Zins, MD.
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, USA.
26. Sagittal Synostosis: Post operative growth of the operated skull
Christian Amm, MD1, Arlen Denny, MD2.
1Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA, 2Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA.
27. Sagittal Craniosynostosis: Surgical Outcomes and Long-term Growth
Jeffrey A. Fearon, MD1, Emily B. McLaughlin, MD2, John C. Kolar, PhD3.
1The Craniofacial Center, Dallas, TX, USA, 2Former Fellow, The Craniofacial Center, Dallas, TX, USA, 3Dallas Craniofacial Center, Dallas, TX, USA.
28. Arch Form, Facial Growth and Requirement for Secondary Procedures in Patients with Complete Cleft Lip and Palate After Primary Alveolar Bone Grafting
John A. van Aalst, MD, MA1, Ronald R. Hathaway, DMD2, Barry L. Eppley, DMD, MD2, Robert J. Havlik, MD2, A. Michael Sadove, MD2.
1University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, 2Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN, USA.
29. A Three-Dimensional Surgical Simulator to Teach the Diagnosis and Management of Plastic Surgery Problems
Court B. Cutting, M.D., Aaron Oliker, B.A. M.S.
New York University Med. Cntr., New York, NY, USA.
Scientific Session VI
30. A Multicenter Prospective Analysis of Over 3110 Consecutive Cases of Elective Epinephrine Use in the Fingers and Hand
Donald H. Lalonde, MD1, Michael Bell, MD2, Keith Denkler, MD3, Benoit Paul, MD2, Peter Chang, MD4, Gerald Sparkes, MD1, Patrick Shoemaker, MD5, Arthur Rideout6, Frederick Watkins, MD5.
1Dalhousie University, Saint John, NB, Canada, 2University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada, 3University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA, 4University of Saskatchewan, Regina, SK, Canada, 5Queen's University, Kingston, ON, Canada, 6Memorial University, St John's, NF, Canada.
31. The Management and Treatment of Hypothenar Hammer Syndrome
Craig Johnson, MD.
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA.
32. Initial Management, Reconstruction, and Rehabilitation of Hot-Press Hand Injuries: The University of North Carolina 10-Year Experience
Charles S. Hultman, MD, Catherine Calvert, PhD, Sydney Thornton, OTR/L, Jennifer Schram, OTR/L, Damon Anagnos, MD, Bruce A. Cairns, MD, Michael D. Peck, MD, ScD.
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA.
33. Doppler Signal Interpretation in Free Tissue Transfer: A Resident Education Tool
Brian P. Thornton, MDPhD, Chris Marek, MD, Dan Stewart, MD, Henry Vasconez, MD.
Univeristy of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA.
34. Abdominal Hernia
Alan Muskett, MD, Henry Barber, MS3, William D. Johnson, PhD, William C. Lineaweaver, MD.
University of Mississippi, Jackson, MS, USA.
35. The Utility and Reliability of Digital Imaging in the Remote Assessment of Wounds
Robert X. Murphy, Jr., MD, MS, Michael A. Bain, MD, MS, Thomas Wasser, PhD, Eric Wilson, MD.
Lehigh Valley Hospital, Allentown, PA, USA.
36. Factors Affecting Efficiency and Patient Satisfaction in Hand Surgery Clinics
Frederick G. Weniger, MD, MBA1, Nikola Zivaljevic, MD, MBA, MHA2, Jason R. Dudas, BA1, Andrew Lee, MD1, Joseph E. Imbriglia, MD1.
1University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 2Hand and Upper Extremity Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA.